Wednesday, May 27, 2009

verano.

so rachel is in sweden.
before she left i gave her a left over magazine, a book to borrow, and a few euro cents.
all in all it wasn't a fantastic present,
but hey.
you never know when those few euro cents actually buys a coffee in france.
the thought of that really makes me smile.

today was my first last day of school as a teacher.
i held it together during the kindergarten graduation
and even through saying goodbye to those same kids
i didn't even tear up when i saw a slide show of the whole year
(maybe because i was busy eating oklahoma joe's).
but today the whole school lined the hallways
and cheered for the sixth graders as they left elementary school.
after the crowd had gone through, a mentally handicapped girl named daisy
shuffled through the line,
and the whole school cheered.

that's when i teared up. and not even really for daisy,
although that was really special.
i think it was for the community i was a part of.
teachers and students and the actually building,
they have all grown to become a part of me.
they have changed me, challenged me, and made my passion for kids come alive.
i will miss my school a lot over the summer.

but summer. summer.
what a great feeling.
bike rides to the farmer's market, swimming and basking in the sun.
royals games and worlds of fun.
and hey -
spain.

here's to the best season ever.

amen.