Friday, July 11, 2008

rest & lay off the caffeine.

i have not had coffee in two days. caffeine withdrawal is an interesting feeling.
and by interesting i mean sucky.

why would i discontinue my energy source you may ask? well it all started with a call to 911...

wednesday night, as i was trying to go to sleep, i began to have very irregular and strange heartbeats. they were getting worse and my mind started to fly. am i having a heart attack? am i just going to die right here? should i cancel my hair cut appointment?

so, instead of waking up my roommate or calling my mom (it was like 1:30am, i didn't want to disturb them with my little emergency) i decided to call 911 and see what they thought i should do. after a short conversation, an ambulance pulls up to my house. i go outside to greet them with a smile and a hello. the paramedic replies with a questioning 'are we here to see you?' i say yes and climb right in like i own the place. the back of an ambulance is really bright and boring. i tell them that as much as i WANT to take a ride, i probably shouldn't because of how costly it is. okay, i didn't say it exactly like that, but that was basically the point.
after they hooked me up to some stuff, monitored my heart, took my blood pressure and pulse, they told me i was fine. fine? really? i don't know about that. my heart is palpitating* here people. but i decided they probably knew best and went out the door of the bright vehicle and back into the real world and to sleep.
thursday i felt pretty alright, but every once and a while i would have this pause of my heart beating, and then all the sudden it would beat like a boom. let me provide an example. thump...thump...thump...........BOOMthumpthumpthump...thump...(note: this is actual proof of my "normal" heartbeats)

so this morning, i went to the doctor to see what the problem is. the good news is, it's most likely not my heart that is having problems, but something else that is causing the strange palpitations. the bad news is that they had to draw a lot of blood and i won't know what it is until monday.

i've made light of the situation because really, how funny is it that i called an ambulance? but in all honesty, i was scared out of my mind that night. as i finally fell asleep after the ambulance incidence, i prayed for peace in my body and God gave it to me. i fell asleep so at peace knowing he was in my heart controlling it. i woke up the next morning truly thankful to be alive and to be breathing. and thankful that i got to go in an ambulance, for free!


*palpitating - a fun word meaning to beat rapidly, strongly, and irregularly.